Greetings from the Provost
On behalf of the Deans, Faculty, and Staff in Academic Affairs, I welcome you to Eastern Kentucky University! EKU has a highly qualified faculty who are committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service.
We particularly place a priority on teaching. Faculty choose EKU because they love to teach and to engage students in the learning process. In fact, we say that “Excellence in Teaching is Job One.”
Like Plutarch, we believe that “the mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled.” EKU is committed to graduating students with the skills to think critically and creatively and communicate effectively. As a result of this integrated approach across all academic programs, EKU has received the Council on Higher Education Accreditation’s (CHEA) Award for Outstanding Institutional Practice in Student Learning Outcomes.
According to the 2014 National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE), our seniors ranked Eastern especially high in effective teaching practices, quality of interactions, higher-order learning, and quantitative reasoning. EKU’s applied programs strike an effective balance between theory and practice in their discipline; and Eastern students can select from over 100 programs, each with an applied component.
In looking ahead, I am reminded of a motto that has resonated with me over the years – good, better, best. The future holds great opportunities for EKU. As we embark on our new 2015-2020 Strategic Plan – Make No Little Plans, I am excited to share the following major initiatives for Academic Affairs:
- Focus on high-impact learning strategies as established in our ACCT (Applied Critical and Creative Thinking) to enhance students’ success
- Transition our nationally prominent Honors Program into an Honors College
- Build on EKU’s STEM-H “gold-standard” success
- Develop QEP-2017, EKU’s next Quality Enhancement Plan
- Increase access to higher education for the adult population in our region and in Kentucky who desire to complete their degrees
- Support CPE’s Strategic Agenda for student success and enhancing cultural competency
I invite you to explore all that Eastern has to offer and learn how you can begin your journey at EKU!
Dr. Janna Vice